Just For Kids!
Just Hanging Around...
I'm Bored! Entertain Me!
Bored turned Budding Artist!
- Removable Tape
- Flat, washable surface
- Chalk (or color pencils, crayons or markers for indoors)
- 40 minutes of Time
Milk Jug Elephant Masterpieces!
Over the next few weeks you will surely go through some plastic jugs. Water, Milk, Orange Juice, Tea - whatever! You're recycling might just be ART!
What you need:
- Empty, Clean, Gallon jug
- Colored paper (you can even paint paper with water colors, let it dry and then cut it in small pieces to create your own!)
- Paper towels
- Paint (If you do not have colored paper)
- Glue (Elmer's School glue or Glue sticks)
- 1 hour of Time
If you search your house you probably have tissue paper for gifts, crepe paper from a birthday celebration, or newspaper. These are easy, "ready to go," papers for paper mâché! If you do not have these convenient options, you can make your own with any paper in the house. Just wet the paper to soften it but not so much that it falls apart.If using paper towels, wet them and then squeeze the water out. With damp paper, use watered down paint to add color to your paper. Allow it to dry completely and then once dry, cut it into small pieces.
Cut the handle of the jug at the bottom of the handle (low enough that it leaves a "trunk" to hold onto but disconnects it from the bottom of the jug).
Sit the jug upright with the cut portion of the handle pointing down to the table surface. Cut off the bottom out of the jug. Then cut half moons out of each side of the bottom of the jug. This will create your feet.
Take your colored paper and cut them into small 1/2 sized pieces. They can be many shapes or even sizes - just keep them small.
Now, apply your glue to the jug -small portions at a time. Lay the little cut papers on your jug over the glue until you have completely covered the jog with colored papers and voila! You have a Mosaic Elephant Masterpiece!
In Home or Back Yard Obstacle Course
through a hula hoop 3x or get to skip jumping through is you can prove
you know how to use hula hoop correctly! Don't have Hula Hoops? Improvise ro skip it! (adjust based on ages)
Completion equals 2 points. This one introduces EXERCISE and
- Throw 5 stuffed animals into a laundry basket from 5 feet away. (adjust based on ages) Task equals 1 point for each basket made. This one introduces FOCUS!
up kitchen chairs to crawl under or sit and stand on each one in a row
until you've sat on each chair in the row. (adjust based on ages)
Completion equals 2 points. This one introduces
- Drawl a
circle, a triangle, a square, a rectangle and one other shape on a piece
of paper. Task equals 1 point for each shape. Extra points for extra
actual shapes drawn. Limit to one minute. (adjust time based on ages)
This one introduces a little MATH!
- Limbo under a piece of yarn tied to two chairs while playing music.
(can use a broom stick or curtain rod too. (adjust based on age)
Completion equals 2 points This one introduces a little MUSIC! This one
- Walk a “balance beam” (masking tape line on floor) Completion equals 2 points. This one introduces BALANCE!
- Walk across floor with a book balanced on the head. Once at the end, read 1 page out loud and then place the book on the floor! To make this harder for older children, add hurdles they must step or climb over. Completion equals 2 points. This one introduces AGILITY AND READING!
across a room while having small soft toys tossed in the air as you run
by. If you catch the toys you get points! 1 Point for each toy! This
one introduces HAND EYE COORDINATION!
- Sit down and scoot backwards across the room. Completion equals 2 points.
- Somersault from one (masking tape) line to another. Completion equals 2 points. This one introduces GYMNASTICS!
- Using Crete Paper, Painters Tape or String, create a laser beam security challenge for kids to climb through using a hall way to connect the "laser beams"!